Unlike most other surgeries, mommy makeover is nearly always a combination of procedures chosen by the patient and her cosmetic surgeon according to her goals. You can restore your body, from breasts to tummy to the vaginal area. But what kind of scars will that leave? Will they be visible to others?
Every mom is different, and how your body bounces back – or not – after pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding, will be different. Happily, you can tailor your mommy makeover to address your specific concerns. Typically, women want to restore their breasts and abdomen, but some also take this opportunity to give their body an additional “lift” with buttock augmentation or vaginal rejuvenation.
Any Incision Will Leave a Scar
Most procedures leave scars but some of them leave only tiny pinpoint incisions. In the hands of a skilled, experienced surgeon such as Dr. Brady Harris, you can look forward to both exciting results and minimal scarring. Dr. Harris always places incisions where they will be least noticeable – in the case of a mommy makeover, scars will be hidden beneath your underwear or a bikini. He also uses the latest techniques and technology to minimize scarring.
Here’s a quick look at typical incision placement for mommy makeover procedures.
- Breast augmentation: incisions are most commonly underneath the breast in the fold but it will depend on which type of implants you choose; with fat transfer, incisions are very tiny
- Breast lift: incisions will include a vertical line from the areola to fold in the breast as well as either a thin horizontal line below the breast and an incision around the areola, depending on the amount of lift required and the technique used; but a bra or bikini top will cover the scars; non-surgical treatments do not leave scars
- Buttock augmentation: fat transfer (Brazilian Butt Lift) requires only tiny incisions; the Scupltra non-surgical butt lift is also a great way to increase volume and lift in the buttocks and because it is an injection there is no scarring
- Liposuction: only tiny incisions are required because the equipment only needs an entry point about as wide as a pencil eraser; however, the number incisions you have will depend on the number of places you are having treated
- Tummy tuck: if Dr. Harris will need to perform a full tummy tuck to repair stretched abdominal muscles as well as remove excess fat and skin, the incision will run hip to hip along the bikini line; for a mini-tummy tuck, the incision will be about only 4 to 8 inches long, across the lower belly – either way, scars will be hidden underneath the bikini line
- Vaginal rejuvenation: for surgical labiaplasty of the labia minora, small incisions are hidden in the folds of the labia; surgical labiaplasty for the labia majora requires fat transfer which only requires pinpoint size incisions; non-surgical treatments like Viveve help with vagina laxity and do not leave scars because it does not require any incisions
Scars Fade over Time
But scars will gradually fade, so in the long run they may be barely noticeable, even to you.