Making the Decision
Because a BBL requires taking fat from somewhere on your body, you can achieve slimmer, smoother contouring in that area at the same time as you augment your backside. Many of our patients see this 2-in-1 opportunity as a big plus.
Aesthetic Goals - What do you want to accomplish? You must be clear in your own mind about the specific physical changes you want to make in order to clearly explain your vision to your surgeon. Dr. Harris can guide you, but the direction he takes will ultimately be from you.
Realistic Expectations - There is no perfect butt. Expecting the impossible guarantees you will be unhappy. Taking an honest and realistic look at what is possible for you will help you decide whether or not to move forward with surgery. Reviewing before and after photos of people who have a similar body shape is tremendously helpful for this - we’ll circle back to that.
Motivation to Have Surgery - The only valid reason to get any kind of cosmetic enhancement procedure is to please yourself. Whether you want a new look “back there” or you simply want to look better in your clothes (or without them), the decision should be all about you, not what someone else thinks you should do.
Time Commitment - Ordinarily, you probably don’t give much thought to the amount of time you spend sitting -- at work, at home or in the car. But if you’re considering a BBL, “seat time” is a major factor. Following the procedure, you will not be allowed to sit for at least 2 weeks. You will have to stand or lie down, because sitting on your newly-transplanted fat can ruin the results. That won’t be as easy as it might seem. Are you ready to make that commitment?
Availability of Aftercare - You will be far more comfortable if you have a friend or family member at hand to assist you, at least for the first day or two. Recovering from surgery is an undertaking in itself, so you should be sure you have some support to get you through it.
Setting the Date
Once you decide to have a BBL surgery, you will probably be anxious to get on our schedule. However, there are certain factors you should consider before picking a date.
Time Off - You will need to set aside at least a week after your procedure before resuming basic at-home activities, and 10-14 days before returning to work. If your job includes strenuous activity or lots of sitting, you may need to wait even longer.
Upcoming Special Events or Vacation - You’ll want to give yourself plenty of time to recuperate so that you are fully healed and back to normal activity levels by the time your special occasion arrives.
Your Caregiver’s Schedule - Be sure to check availability with the person who will help you when you return home.
You can discuss your plans with Dr. Harris during your personal consultation or with our clinic staff later on, when you decide to move ahead with the procedure.
Brazilian Butt Lift is an outpatient procedure performed in the privacy of our Image Surgical Arts accredited, state-of-the-art surgical center. Your surgeon will be Dr. Brady Harris, who is triple-board certified, a nationally recognized liposuction expert and highly accomplished when it comes to transforming derrière dreams into reality.
You will arrive and go home the same day, without having to spend the night in a hospital. Your surgery will take about 2 to 3 hours, depending on the specifics of your procedure.
Here are the steps your surgery will follow:
- You will receive either general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation. (Dr. Harris will discuss your options during your consultation so you can decide which you prefer.)
- Dr. Harris will perform the liposuction first. He will make only one or a few tiny incisions, depending on the location of the target area and the amount of fat needed to augment your buttocks. These incisions will be located so as to be inconspicuous once healed. Dr. Harris uses advanced VASER liposuction, which is faster and less traumatic for the body than traditional liposuction.
- He then inserts a thin cannula to remove the fat cells, taking great care to strategically contour as he works so that the donor area will look smoothly attractive afterward. Many patients see this as an added benefit of BBL surgery.
- Dr. Harris will purify the fat, to separate it from extraneous blood and oils. He uses a specialized technique that assures a high survival rate for the fat cells so he can produce even more precise, predictable results.
- Using a specialized cannula, he then injects the fat to enlarge the size and/or alter the proportions of the buttocks to achieve the patient’s desired look. He will initially add more fat than is needed. That’s because some of the fat cells will not survive and will be naturally absorbed by the body.
It takes extensive surgical experience to correctly judge how much fat will ultimately be the right amount. And it takes a keen sense of artistry to strategically place the new fat where it will produce the most pleasing results.
However, Dr. Harris knows his patients want their newly-shaped buttocks to blend smoothly with the rest of their body for a comprehensively attractive appearance. So he uses his 360o liposuction technique to contour surrounding areas as needed. For some patients, he will also add Renuvion skin tightening to ensure the final results are as smooth and firm as possible.
Once you are back home, it is vital to follow all the instructions provided by our clinical staff, so your recovery will proceed as quickly and smoothly as possible. After a week most patients can get back to light daily activities, and you may be able to return to work within 10-14 days, depending on what your job entails. (Strenuous activity or sitting are key issues.)
These tips will help:
A Comfortable Place to Rest - Since sitting can compromise your results, you will have to stand or lie on your side or stomach for at least the first 2 weeks. So think comfy couch or bed as your rest-and-relaxation headquarters.
Essentials at Hand - Surround your comfy place to rest with items you will need as you hang out and relax -- remote controls, books, water bottle, medication, chargers, etc. -- arranged within easy reach. Prepare this space before your surgery, so it’s ready and welcoming as soon as you get home.
Exercise Plan - You should alternate lying down with standing throughout the day to boost your circulation and oxygen supply. This promotes healing as well as overall health. We will advise you how often and how long to walk or otherwise move around as you recover.