HydraFacial is a tremendously popular med spa treatment here at Image Surgical Arts with men as well as women. HydraFacial boosts skin appearance and health, yet it takes as little as 30 minutes from your day’s schedule. HydraFacial is gentle and requires no downtime, but it does exfoliate your skin surface, leaving it more vulnerable. Protecting your skin will ensure you get the best possible results.
One of the questions we often get has to do with waxing (or shaving) following HydraFacial treatment. Women sometimes wax or shave or use a depilatory product to remove “peach fuzz” or other facial hair to achieve a smoother surface that is more attractive and more receptive to makeup. And most men shave their faces as a matter of course every day. We recommend you wait at least 48 hours to wax, shave or use a depilatory because it could irritate your newly-exposed skin.
Additional Post-Treatment Recommendations
To give your skin a chance to relax and to protect it while it’s most vulnerable following HydraFacial, we recommend several steps you can take during the first several days with avoiding waxing. For example:
- First and foremost, try to avoid direct sun exposure, stay away from tanning beds, and use sunscreen. You should always use sunscreen every day, no matter what, but this is especially important following any skin rejuvenation treatment.
- Use only a gentle cleanser on your face, and wait a day before applying makeup.
- Wait 24 hours before taking your usual piping hot bath or shower, submerging yourself in a hot tub or heading into the sauna. Your skin will be hyper-sensitive at first, so excessive heat could cause uncomfortable or painful inflammation.
- Do not use any topical products that include Retin-A or a generic version of tretinoin, any exfoliating products such as those that contain glycolic acid, or any acne medication for at least 48 hours.
- Don’t schedule any chemical peel or laser treatments for at least two weeks (or use any at-home variation of these treatments).
All of these recommendations – including avoiding waxing, shaving, and depilatories -- also apply to the days leading up to your HydraFacial appointment. You want your skin to be au naturel, free from any chemicals that could interfere with the ingredients we will use during your HydraFacial treatment. For guys, if you can’t avoid shaving the day of your treatment, at least do it 3-4 hours in advance so your skin has some time to calm. Men and women will often add on a dermaplaning so they don’t have to worry about waxing or shaving.
No Reason to Wait!
If you’ve already had the HydraFacial experience, you know first-hand why it is so popular. If you have not yet tried it, now is a great time to do that. HydraFacial produces visible improvement after just one treatment, and if you schedule regular sessions (we recommend monthly), your skin will continue to improve. Just remember to avoid waxing for at least 48 hours afterward!
We always recommend you schedule a personal consultation to help define your complexion goals. Simply fill out a form on this page or call/text us at 615-499-4224.